Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Keeping the Focus on Others


I have been trying to write out a long post about my service efforts for this month, but I can't help but not like the way it comes out. It's like the scripture in the Bible about saying your prayers in your closet, as opposed to the street corner where everyone can see you. If you say them in private you do it because its between you and Heavenly Father. If you brag about it, saying them loudly where everyone can hear how righteous you are, than you are doing it for everyone else's approval and that is your reward.
Matthew 6: 5-6
 5 ¶ And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the ahypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
  6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy acloset, and when thou hast bshut thy door, cpray to thy Father which is in dsecret; and thy Father which eseeth in secret shall freward thee openly.
The idea of doing service this month is to take the focus off of yourself and think about others. Therefore, I don't want to sit and list the things I have been doing to get kudos or nice comments, because then it all goes back on me and my focus is lost.


So I will just say this. I am holding my end up on the monthly challenge by being more thoughtful for those around me and by helping a friend in need. Its been harder than I thought it would be, but I guess that's how all good behaviors are.


I hope you are finding the joy that comes with serving others. If you would like to share whether you participated in this month's challenge I would love to know, even if its just to say you did it.

Photobucket


4 comments:

Michele said...

Thank-you for the reminder to do service - I am finding it much harder than I would like to find the time to be of more service to others. This is disheartening for me, and I haven't even been able to sit down and figure out how to create more time/space in my life to figure it out. I suppose I need to bump it to the top of my priority list, and then it'll get all the attention it needs. Some things I have been doing that have been easy to fit in is to contribute to the food drives and salvation army bins and homeless people every time I go by them. But, I'd like to contribute something more personal - homemade meals or gifts to those around me - friends and neighbours and family.

Anxiolitycs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I absolutely love your blog! It's so encouraging and helpful to those going through anxiety! I added a Depression/Anxiety/Mental Health community on my website, shareWIK (share What I Know) and would love your input! ShareWIK is an online community bringing together people of all areas of expertise so that they can share what they know. Keep up the great work, and we would love to hear from you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...